Desbaterile şedinţei plenare lărgite din 11 Iulie 1949 FEDERAŢIA COMUNITĂŢILOR EVREIEŞTI DIN ROMÂNIA REPULICA POPULARA ROMANA -
The discussions of the extended Assembly on July 11, 1949 - Federation of Jewish Communities in Romania, the People's Republic of Romania - the transcripts of the discussions and decisions of the Assembly meeting held from July 11, 1949, which included a historical chapter in the history of the Federation of Jewish Communities in Romania - The unification of Jewish and Sephardic community organizations into one body - "The Supreme Council", and the establishment of a new order for Romanian Jewry. Bucharest 1949 - accompanied by rare and large unfolding photographs, depicting Romanian Jewry on large unfolding panels, some of which are impressive photo montage works.
Rare publication following the Romanian law passed on August 4, 1948, which placed all religious groups in the country on an equal basis. With the establishment of the "People's Democracy" in Romania, all Jewish institutions - schools, hospitals, hostels, canteens, clinics, and rehabilitation centers were transformed into "state institutions" in such a way that the financial burden shifted from the communities to the Romanian state, and the role of the federation, which united all the Jewish communities in Romania, changed from a body that handles the Jewish ghetto internally, to a body that coordinates the needs of the Jewish community with the Romanian government. As a result, all the Jewish organizations in the country were united under the leadership of one body, the "Supreme Council", and a uniform bylaw was published for all of them.
The booklet includes a full transcript of the discussions and resolutions held on July 1949 in which the Jewish communities were united under the same body, as well as a full transcript of the telegrams in which the regulations and resolutions were written. The booklet also includes precise numerical data dealing with Romanian Jewry in all areas of life - division into regions, areas of occupation, economic status, public institutions, synagogues, shelters, and more.
For the booklet, 11 large photographic plates were specially prepared, opening to 38x33 cm each, documenting the entirety of Jewish life in Romania. Each panel consists of a number of photographs, some of which are high-quality photomontage work. On the plates are photographs of Jewish cultural institutions (described in Romanian and Yiddish), synagogues in Romania, mikvahs, Jewish cemeteries, the Jewish theater, Hebrew schools and photographs of students in institutions where they studied Yiddish in the "People's Republic of Romania", Jewish workshops for art and vocational studies, Yiddish Jewish press, Jewish resorts, hospitals and spas and sanatoriums, retirement homes, and more.
The Federation of Jewish Communities of Romania (Federaţia Comunităţilor Evreieşti din România) is the body that unites Romanian Jewry and its various factions and represents it to the Romanian government, as well as handles relations between Romanian Jewry and other bodies. The founding conference of the federation, which included the communities of Transylvania, Banat, Bukovina, and Bessarabia, took place in 1936 and elected the first president of the federation, philanthropist and financier Sigmund Biermann. From 1948 to 1951, it was headed by Prof. Maximilian Popper. In August 1949, by government decree, all the autonomous community organizations that existed until then (of the Old Kingdom), Sephardic Jews and Ashkenazi Jews, including the Neologs, the "Orthodox" Jews of Transylvania and the rest of the ultra-Orthodox, were united into a single framework headed by a single committee composed of Chairman Leon Stern and Vice Chairman Philip Stoffler.
Extremely rare. Only one copy appears in the World Cat Library catalogue - at the National Library in Jerusalem.
96  p + 11 folded photographic plates opening to approximately 38x33 cm. 22 cm. slight tears in the edges of some of the photo plates. Overall good condition.